I grew up in a close-knit family on my father’s farm in Normandy, Surrey. I went to the village school and on to Bishop Reindorp CofE comprehensive school in Guildford. I read Politics at the University of Birmingham after which, in 1994, I embarked on my first job in the BBC News room in London.
I have been married to Charles, an Officer in the Royal Navy, for 17 years and we have two children together.
Having enjoyed an exciting career in the heart of central government, I have now resigned from my politically restricted Civil Service post to pursue a full-time career in politics.
I am currently working in a voluntary capacity as the Sustainability Advisor for Marie Curie Cancer Care.
- Strategic Communication Advisor and Head of Public Engagement, Dept. Energy and Climate Change.
- Communication Advisor to the Foreign Office Afghanistan Unit.
- Managing Director of Muse Consulting Ltd – Marketing and Communication Consultancy.
- Communications Director – National Events, Ministry of Defence, WWII 60, Falklands25, Armed Forces Memorial.
- Spokesman for Secretary of State for Defence on Policy and International Relations, including NATO, EU Defence Ministerials and bilateral negotiations.
(I am security cleared to Secret).
- I led a review of support to small and medium size businesses for the Scottish Executive.
- Communication Advisor to President Prodi’s Cabinet in the European Commission.
- No.10 Spokesman on Genetic Modification
- BBC News Room
Elected to the District Council in 2011 I achieved a 12% swing from the incumbent LibDem, one of the highest swings in the region. I have recently been promoted to the Cabinet. I have previously served as Chair of the Innovation Committee and Deputy Chair of the Environment Panel. I have sat on the Planning Committee, Development Policy Panel and Overview and Scrutiny Committee.
- Passionate about localism I have improved public access to policy development, particularly planning issues. I was instrumental in the establishment of community stakeholder groups and I encourage on-going consultation and transparency through my own website www.AltonMatters.co.uk
- I instigated a study looking at how East Hampshire could attract investment and jobs through the green economy – pursuing my ambition to see the region host a centre of excellence for green technology training and innovation, in partnership with local community interest companies and the education sector.
I am Branch Deputy Chair Political and Campaigns. I have also been actively engaged in the Boris2012, the Corby By-election, PCC election, Eastleigh By-election, and County Council election campaigns across the South.
I am an active member of the Conservative Women’s Organisation and the Conservative Policy Forum.
- I am the Sustainability Advisor at Marie Curie Cancer Care.
- A founder member of Energy Alton – I was instrumental in securing £80K grant funding.
- I am a Director of the East Hampshire Environment Network.