I grew up in a close-knit family on my father’s farm in Normandy, Surrey. I went to the village school and on to Bishop Reindorp CofE comprehensive school in Guildford. I read Politics at the University of Birmingham after which, in 1994, I embarked on my first job in the BBC News room in London.
I have been married to Charles, an Officer in the Royal Navy, for 17 years and we have two children together.
Having enjoyed an exciting career in the heart of central government, I have now resigned from my politically restricted Civil Service post to pursue a full-time career in politics.
As an MEP Candidate in the 2014 election I campaigned hard across the South West.
Despite losing one of our three seats, our share of the vote fell by just 1%.
Elected to the District Council in 2011 I achieved a 12% swing from the incumbent LibDem, one of the highest swings in the region. I now serve as a Cabinet Member with responsibility for Energy and Environmental Health. My new Energy Strategy will deliver commercial outcomes contributing for the Council becoming independent of Government grants by 2019.
I am Deputy Chair Campaigns for the Hampshire Conservative Federation, the joint East Hampshire and Basingstoke conservative association. I am actively involved in all levels of local, national and European campaigns across the south of England.
- Passionate about localism I have improved public access to policy development, particularly planning issues. I was instrumental in the establishment of community stakeholder groups and I encourage on-going consultation and transparency through my own website www.AltonMatters.co.uk
- I instigated a study looking at how East Hampshire could attract investment and jobs through the green economy – pursuing my ambition to see the region host a centre of excellence for green technology training and innovation, in partnership with local community interest companies and the education sector.
I am an active member of the Conservative Women’s Organisation and the Conservative Policy Forum.
- Strategic Communication Advisor and Head of Public Engagement, Dept. Energy and Climate Change.
- Communication Advisor to the Foreign Office Afghanistan Unit.
- Managing Director of Muse Consulting Ltd – Marketing and Communication Consultancy.
- Communications Director – National Events, Ministry of Defence, WWII 60, Falklands25, Armed Forces Memorial.
- Spokesman for Secretary of State for Defence on Policy and International Relations, including NATO, EU Defence Ministerials and bilateral negotiations. (I am security cleared to Secret).
- I led a review of support to small and medium size businesses for the Scottish Executive.
- Communication Advisor to President Prodi’s Cabinet in the European Commission.
- No.10 Spokesman on Genetic Modification
- BBC News Room
I am a founder member of Energy Alton and active on the committee. I was instrumental in securing £80K in grant funding. I helped to insulate 500 homes in Alton saving residents £27,000. We recently installed a 10KW solar array on Alton library. Energy Alton won a National Energy Foundation award for our initiatives.